The recognition issued by worldsteel that arrived at Ternium´s headquarters in Monterrey
For the third year in a row, worldsteel has recognized Ternium as a sustainable leader in the industry.
Ternium's performance, and the efforts it made to pursue sustainable development practices in 2020, have been recognized by the World Steel Association (worldsteel), which for the third year running has distinguished the company as one of its Sustainability Champions. The announcement was made at worldsteel's special general meeting of board members, held online this Tuesday, April 13.
Sustainability has long been a top commitment for the company. In recent months, two announcements underscored the priority afforded to the environment on Ternium's agenda. In February, it presented its decarbonization roadmap, with the goal of reducing its specific emissions by 20% by 2030, while at the end of last year, the company launched a 500 million dollar-investment plan earmarked exclusively for environmental projects to be carried out at its plants in Mexico, Argentina and Brazil.
Ternium’s sister company Tenaris was also awarded the title of Sustainability Champion this year, for the fourth consecutive time.
Worldsteel Sustainability champions are usually presented with their certificates at the worldsteel general meeting, but due to the measures taken in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic this year's awards have been sent to companies and representatives in their home countries, as they were last year.
Eligibility for this award
Earning this recognition comes at the end of a long, multi-step process. In order to be eligible, businesses must:
- Sign worldsteel’s Sustainable Development Charter, and report annually on their progress towards achieving the organization’s sustainability indicators. These include materials efficiency, environmental management systems, the Lost Time Injury Frequency Rate, employee training, investment in new processes and products, and the distribution of economic value.
- Provide Life Cycle Inventory (LCI) data for at least 50% of their steel production.
- Act on sustainable objectives, highlighting all data and achievements in an annual Sustainability Report.
- Be shortlisted in at least one category of the Steelie Awards, or be recognized as part of the Health and Safety Recognition Program, in order to complete the eligibility requirements. Ternium was in fact a finalist in four of the worldsteel awards categories last year.
This year, nine companies earned recognition as worldsteel Sustainability Champions 2020. More information about this distinction can be found on the worldsteel website.
The roster of worldsteel Sustainability Champions in 2020 includes:
- JFE Steel Corporation
- JSW Steel Limited
- Novolipetsk Steel (NLMK Group)
- Outokumpu Oyj
- Severstal (PAO)
- Tata Steel Europe
- Tata Steel Limited